The famous Italian noble family in the Tuscany has been dedicated to viticulture for 26 generations and is one of the largest and most important wine producers and trading companies Italy, Founder was Giovanni di Piero Antinori in 1385. He came from a Florentine merchant family with a long winemaking tradition. Giovanni became successful and winemaking, along with the silk trade and international banking business, took an important position in family activities. Over the centuries, a high-quality wine culture has developed, the headquarters is a built in 1469 Renaissance Palazzo in Florence (Palazzo Antinori). The company is today led by Marchese Piero Antinori (* 1938), the leading figure of the oenological revolution also in connection with the so-called Super-Tuscans who has significantly influenced the quality of Italian wines in recent decades. In addition to many other innovations, he experimented among other things as one of the first with Barrique,
The three Antinori daughters Albiera, Allegra and Alessia follow the family tradition and work in various capacities within the company. Niccolò Antinori, the father of the current owner, laid the foundation for the highest quality with high-quality Chianti and Orvieto wines. The oenologist Giacomo Tachis (a legend of Tuscan viticulture) was the former winemaker to initiate the use of the grape variety Cabernet Sauvignon in the Chianti area. The property now includes numerous wineries and wineries in the wine-growing regions Apulia. Piedmont. Tuscany and Umbria as well as in California with a total vineyard area of about 1,200 hectares. The total property is much larger. Some produce olive oil as well as wine. The property also includes the three fine restaurants "Cantinetta Antinori" in Florence, Zurich and Wien .
The estate "Badia a Passignano" was acquired in 1987 and is located near Santa Cristina. It covers 50 hectares mainly with Sangiovese bestockte vineyards and is one of the best locations in the area Chianti Classico, Viticulture has an age-old tradition here. Saint Giovanni Gualberto founded the Order of Vallombrosa in 1049, a branch of the Benedictine who specialized in viticulture and forestry. Here in 1983 a fossil Vitis vinifera was found. The estate "Belvedere" with 106 hectares is located south of the port city of Livorno. The estate "Castello della Sala" near the historic town of Orvieto in Umbria, named after the medieval castle, was bought in 1940. On the 160 hectares of vineyards are the varieties Procanico (Trebbiano Toscano clone), Grechetto (various clones), Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Nero cultivated. Among many other wines here is the Orvieto Classico produced.
The estate "Guado al Tasso" (ford of the badger) is located near Bolgheri on the Tuscan coast and covers 300 hectares of vineyards. It will be the DOC white wine Bolgheri and the named after the estate red wine (from the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Syrah) produced. In 1994, here was one nursery created especially to Vermentino, but also Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot and Sangiovese for the other goods to multiply. In the immediate vicinity lies the estate Ornellaia which formerly belonged to Lodovico Antinori (younger brother of Piero Antinori). And also not far away is the estate "Biserno", the first joint project of the brothers Antinori, led by Lodovico.
The "La Braccesca" estate near Montepulciano, acquired in 1990, covers 243 hectares of vineyards and is mainly made up of red wines Prugnolo gentile (a special Sangiovese clone), Merlot and Syrah planted. Here is a DOCG red wine Vino Nobile di Montepulciano produced. The estate "Pèppoli" was acquired in 1985 on the occasion of the dignified 600-year anniversary of the Antinori family and covers 62 hectares of vineyards, mainly with Sangiovese, as well as Merlot and the white wine variety Malvasia Bianca Lunga are planted. Here is the DOCG red wine Chianti Classico generated.
The named after a station property "Pian delle Vigne" near Montalcino was acquired in 1995 and covers 60 hectares of vineyards. Here is Brunello di Montalcino generated. The estate "Tignanello" was already in the mid-19th century by a branch line of the Medici sex is located in the heart of Chianti-Classico, 30 kilometers south of Florence. It covers 147 hectares of vineyards with the famous Vigna (Single layers) Tignanello (47 ha) and Solaia (10 ha). The Redwine Tignanello from the varieties Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc is considered the "father" of the popular IGT wines (Landweine), speak super-Tuscans. Here is also experimented with various Sangiovese clones. In addition, the two local white varieties Malvasia Bianca Lunga and Trebbiano Toscano cultured.
The formerly the group Ruffino and after that Francesco Giuntini-Antinori owned "Selvapiana" winery in Pontassieve with 40 hectares is now owned by Stucchi Prinetti, another Antinori branch. With the winery Ste Michelle Wine Estates in the US state Washington is there a joint venture. Another joint venture exists with the winery "Haras de Pirque" in the Maipo Valley in Chile whose top wine "Albis" was nicknamed Albiera Antinori, the eldest daughter of Marchese Piero Antinoris. The company Antinori is a member of the prestigious international family winery association PFV (Primum Familiae Vini).