The British wine merchant Ronald Avery (1899-1976) learned his business in various London wineries from agents of the Bordeaux trading house Barton & Guestier
, as well as at its headquarters in Bordeaux. In 1923 he took over the management of the long-established family business Avery & Co. from his father. The company, founded in Bristol in 1793, counts alongside its main competitor Harvey's
among the most important British Wine trade houses
, Avery developed into an excellent wine taster and often traveled to Bordeaux to choose the barrels for his company. At the end of the 1930s, the company's program included hundreds of Bordeaux and Burgundy wines as well as many German wines. It also contained some vintages of the then completely unknown Château Cheval Blanc
, After the Second World War, Harvey and Harry, who was then the competitor of Harvey's, also worked Waugh
(1904-2001) wine from Château Petrus
imported to Britain. After Avery's death, his son John took over the business.