The estate is located in the municipality of Kaltern (Caldaro) in the Italian wine sector South-Tirol (Region Trentino-Alto Adige ). It was founded in the 18th century by the noble Di Pauli family. In the 19th century, the entire lake was owned by the family for a period of 25 years, until it was sold to the municipality of Kaltern in 1901. Anton Baron Di Pauli (1761-1830) was Austrian Minister of Trade and made special contributions to the wine industry. Thanks to the good relationship with the Wiener Hof, the winery was given the title "K&K Hofträger" In 1880 Josef Baron Di Pauli bought the property of Prince Giovanelli in Caldaro. The wines were exported to Russia. The family also owned various restaurants, such as the oldest Viennese town tavern "Paulusstube", which still exists today. In 1998 the family joined the Cantina Caldaro on.
Due to inquiries about the now no longer existing "Baron Di Pauli" brand, Cantina Kaltern decided in 1999 to found its own company Baron Di Pauli as a subsidiary and to produce it again as an independent brand. The cellar master in charge is Thomas Scarizuola. The Baron Di Pauli winery comprises two locations, the "Arzenhof" near Kaltern and the "Höfl unterm Stein" in Söll near Tramin. The Arzenhof covers 10.5 hectares of vineyards at 250 to 400 meters above sea level on a moraine debris cone directly above Lake Kaltern. Here are the varieties Schiava. Lagrein. Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon grown. The three red wines "Arzio" (Merlot / Cabernet), "Carano" (Lagrein) and "Kalkofen" (from very old Vernatsch vines) are produced. The Höfl unterm Stein encompasses 4.5 hectares of vines at 480 to 550 meters above sea level on loamy limestone gravel soils, mainly with the Gewurztraminer, as well as the varieties Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc are planted. The white wines "Exilissi" and "Elix" (Gewürztraminer), "Enosi" (Riesling / Sauvignon), "Kinesis" (Sauvignon) and "Dynamis" (Riesling) are produced.