Barton & Guestier is one of the oldest and most important Bordeaux wine trading houses, The origin dates back to 1725, when Thomas Barton (1694-1780) of Irish descent came to Bordeaux in 1722 wine trade Founded. With his son William (1723-1799), he was very contentious, who founded his own company. His son Hugh Barton (1766-1854) married Anna, the daughter of the wealthy wine merchant Nathaniel Johnston. He had to leave France after a brief detention in 1793 during the French Revolution. The important trading house Barton & Guestier then emerged from the connection with the Daniel Guestier company in 1792. For over 15 years he unsuccessfully tried that Château Lafite to acquire. Finally, in 1821, he bought the Château Langoa, which he bears his current name Château Langoa-Barton renamed, as well as in 1826 a neighboring part of the Château Léoville, which now Château Léoville-Barton was called. His successor was Nathaniel Barton (1799-1867), who through the phylloxera disaster got into trouble. His grandson Ronald Barton (1902-1986) made Château Langoa-Barton his home. During the Second World War it was occupied by the Germans in 1940. Finally, in 1954 half of the Barton & Guestier company was taken over by the American Multi Seagram and subsequently entirely. Ronald's nephew Anthony Barton (* 1930) founded his own trading company and took over both wineries in 1986. The family have retained their old nationality and religion to this day.