The champagne house was founded in 1843 by Edmond Besserat in Aÿ. The marriage of the founding grandson Edmond Besserat to the noble Yvonne de Méric de Bellefon gave the company its current name in 1927. In 1991 it merged with Marne et Champagne, a company founded by Gaston Burtin in 1933. Today the house is run by his heiress Marie-Laurence Mora as president. The “Cuvée des Moines” line includes particularly fine, sparkling, creamy champagne with less carbon dioxide pressure
(Crémant). There are the Brut, Brut Rosé and Blanc de Blancs variants. These are bottled in the bottle shape common in the 18th century (bulbous body and slender neck). The Brut, Demi-Sec and Millésime variants in the classic champagne style are produced under the “Grande Tradition” line. Around 2.2 million bottles are produced annually champagne
produced. Tastings and events take place in the company's own "Hôtel Besserat de Bellefon" in Epernay.