The important Portuguese Madeira house "Blandy's Madeira" was founded in 1811 by the Englishman John Blandy from Dorset. He learned the island Madeira
already know in 1807 when he was on a ship serving the army of the English general Sir William Beresford (1768-1854) in defense against a possible attack Napoleon
was assigned. During this time, the flourishing trade in dessert wine aroused his interest. After serving in the army, he returned to the island and settled there. As a result, the family acquired extensive property. The success of the company now known as "Blandy Brothers & Co" began in 1852 when son Charles Ridpath Blandy bought up large quantities of mature Madeira. His daughter married a Cossart from the wine company in 1874 Cossart Gordon
In 1925, the company acquired a majority stake Madeira Wine Company
, The port wine house Symington
became the second majority owner in 1988. Blandy and Symington are thus by far the largest Madeira company with numerous Madeira brands (companies). The company does not have its own vineyards, but purchases grapes from selected grape growers. The main four brands are Blandy, Cossart Gordon
, Leacock and Miles. Of these four former founding or owner families, only Blandys are now active in the company. In addition to producing and trading in wine, the Blandy Group is also active in the areas of hotel investments, leisure and travel and media in Portugal, the Canary Islands and Great Britain.