The German winery owner and Reichsrat Franz Eberhard Ritter von Buhl (1867-1921) came from a respected wine-growing family in the palatinate
and studied law and economics. He took over after the death of his father Franz Armand Buhl (1837-1896), the winery "Peter Heinrich Jordan Erben". After his marriage, he merged the inheritance in 1909 with the married areas to one of the largest privately owned German wineries and later named it after his received in 1912 title "Imperial Council of the Bavarian Chamber" Reichsrat von Buhl
, Buhl made special efforts to combat the vine pests and the further development of viticulture. Already his father Armand Buhl had in 1873 a law against the import of foreign vines in the fight against phylloxera
enforced. In France, Franz Eberhard Buhl had to carry out re-finishing experiments with German grape varieties for many years. He was co-founder of the Palatine Commission for combating vine pests and the wine-growing association in the Palatinate. Likewise he was founder of the DWV
(German viticulture association), from 1905 to 1920 its president and afterwards honor president. Furthermore, he held many functions in national (eg as a committee member of the DLG
) and international Wine-producing institutions
and as president at numerous congresses.