The Italian winery is located in Erbusco west of Brescia in the east of the region Lombardy, It was founded in 1968 by the famous winemaker Maurizio Zanella. He studied in France at the University of Oenology in Bordeaux and at the Oenologique de Bourgogne station in Beaune. In the new plantation of vineyards in the 1970s, the French oenologist Émile Peynaud (1912-2004). Zanella got the butler André Dubois from the champagne house Moët et Chandon from the Champagne and Brian Larky from the University of California and took over the management of the entire company.
An ultramodern winery of superlatives was built regarding architecture and technical infrastructure. The small mountain on which the estate lies was half dug and a star-shaped cellar was created. Its centerpiece is a seven-meter-high, cathedral-like space. Above the basement there is a helipad. Because of the naturally constant temperature, the catacombs, which are deeply embedded in the soil, are optimally suited for long-term storage in barrels, barriques and bottles. Today, the vineyards cover around 100 hectares of vineyards with autochthonous and international varieties are planted.
Zanella co-headed with Angelo Gaja and Giacomo Bologna significantly the Renaissance of Italian viticulture (Rinascimento enologico italiano) from the early 1980s. The flagship is the DOCG sparkling wine Franciacorta "Anna Maria Clemente", whose base wine is pressed in a hand-operated, wooden press. This is produced in all flavors and also as rosé. Other products are DOC wines Curtefranca in red and white with partial oak barrels. Then there are IGT (Land wines) of French grape varieties such as the owner-signed, barrel-fermented Cabernet Sauvignon - Merlot Cut "Maurizio Zanella", the "Pinéro" Pinot Noir, the bassist Chardonnay, as well as the "Elfo" from predominantly indigenous, white grape varieties. Every year about 650,000 bottles of wine are produced.