The Italian spirits manufacturer Antonio Benedetto Carpano (1751-1815) was involved in the natural and agricultural sciences in his youth. He experimented with, among other things flavors in mixtures of chemical solutions. Then he was in Turin ( Piedmont ) as a shop assistant in liquor store worked by Signor Marendazzo. At the beginning of the 1780s, he started with the ones already known at the time liqueur wines to deal with. His goal was to develop an aromatic drink suitable for “women” as a substitute for the local red wine. In 1786, he created the first one he called, derived from the wormwood herb used as a flavoring agent in the drink wormwood, Together with Marendazzo, he started production and marketing.
The wormwood became a great sales success and particularly impressed the Turin aristocracy. A box with the new product was sent to Vittorio Amedeo III, the King of Sardinia-Piedmont and to the Duke of Savoy. It became their farm drink and subsequently came to France. The Carpanos wormwood shop was continued by the nephew Giuseppe Bernardino Carpano. At that time the famous brand became Punt e mes created. Finally, in 1898, the third generation of the family was taken over by the brothers Luigi Carpano and Ottavio Carpano. They started with industrial manufacturing. From 1982, the company was increasingly taken over by the Fratelli Branca Distillerie (producer of e.g. Fernet-Branca) in Milan, which was completed in 2001.