The Italian winery is located in the northeast of the Chianti Classico - Located seven kilometers from the town of Greve amidst hills. The Castello was once built as a watchtower on the Via Cassia Imperiale built by Emperor Hadrian (76-138) in 123 to defend its surroundings. The building was built in the 16th century after the previous building was destroyed during one of the numerous local wars. A member of the then owner family Canigiani began the reconstruction. Then it acquired the family Pitti, in whose possession it was a long time and was used as a country residence.
In 1897, the property was acquired by Carlo François, whose family had immigrated from France to Tuscany in the 18th century. This worked the ownership of the farm around and operated for the first time viticulture. In 1924, the company was one of the 30 founding members of the Consorzio del Vino Chianti Classico (see Gallo nero ). In the cellars of the winery numerous old vintages from the beginning of the 20th century are kept. One of the most outstanding wines was one Chianti Classico Vintage 1904, as Wine of the century was designated. In 1978, Carlos Grandson Alessandro took the responsibility and initiated extensive rationalization measures to increase productivity.
The property now has about 190 hectares of land, of which 60 hectares of vineyards, five hectares of olive groves and the rest with oak and chestnut forests. The vineyards and olive groves extend on the slopes of the valley at altitudes 400-530 above sea level. The vineyards are spread over 22 different vineyards. Are with the red wines Sangiovese. Canaiolo Nero. Cabernet Sauvignon. Cabernet Franc. Syrah. Colorino del Valdarno. Merlot. mammolo. Ciliegiolo and Malvasia Nera di Brindisi, as well as with the white varieties Malvasia del Chianti ( Malvasia Bianca Lunga ) Trebbiano Toscano and Chardonnay planted. The management takes place after ecological Points of view with organic fertilization and mild Crop protection agents,
The selective vintage takes place in principle by hand in several passes. The air-conditioned storage cellar is with Stainless steel- and glass-cement containers with a total capacity of around 3,500 hectoliters. The cellars have a storage capacity of around 1,500 hectoliters and include barriques from French Allier, Tronçais and Limousin oak. It is also produced olive oil.