The estate is located in the municipality Istein (Markgräflerland area) in the German wine-growing region to bathe
, It was first mentioned in 1139 and was then owned by the Bishop of Basel. Until secularization during the Napoleonic
Wars it remained in the possession of the church and then fell in 1802 to the state of Baden. In 1811 the estate was acquired by Carl Friedrich Freiherr von Freistedt, a son of the then Margrave Carl Friedrich. The new owner had the property rebuilt into a small castle, from which the name derives. The estate was then from 1953 in the possession of the district of Lörrach and was leased from 1977 to the end of 2006 to the Soder family. Finally, in 2007, the estate was sold to the "Royal Vinum Verwaltungs- und Betriebsgesellschaft GmbH". This also includes the historic winery Emil Marget in Hügelheim-Müllheim. Butler is Thomas Abels. The vineyards cover ten hectares of vineyards in a single location Kirchberg
(Is a). They are planted with the varieties Pinot Noir, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris, Riesling, Gutedel, Chardonnay and Gewürztraminer. The white wines are fermented cool and slow and store for a long time on the yeast. Bottle-fermented sects and brandies are also produced.