The winery is located west of the municipality Saint-Emilion
in the eponymous area on the famous location "Pied de Côte" (at the foot of the hill). In 1924 Maurice de Boüard de Laforest bought a three-hectare vineyard called Clos de l'Angélus. From this one can hear the Angelus ringing (traditional morning bell) from the three churches of the area at the same time; these are the chapel of Mazerat, the church of St. Martin of Mazerat and the church of Saint-Émilion. The family de Boüard can look back on more than 700 years of history in Bordeaux. The new owner moved into the neighboring Château Mazerat, which had been owned by the family since 1850, and other properties. After the Second World War (1939-1945) the estate received its present name. It was one of the first customers of the well-known oenologist Michel Rolland
The company was classified in 1996 as "Premier Grand Cru Classé B" and finally in 2012 even "Premier Grand Cru Classé A". This vintage was therefore bottled in black bottles with real gold print. Stéphanie de Boüard-Rivoal has taken the lead this year. The vineyard area totals 39 hectares, of which all are classified. They are planted with the varieties Cabernet Franc (50%), Merlot (47%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (2%). About ten hectares of Cabernet Franc vines are over 60 years old. The extremely long-lived red wine matures for 18 to 24 months in 100% new oak barrels. The label adorns a bell to match the name. The second wine is called "Le Carillon de l'Angélus". The family also owns vineyards in South Africa.