The winery is located on the Plateau Calcaire east of the city Saint-Emilion
in the area of the same name. The name derives from a canon of the St-Émilion Abbey named Balestard, as well as an old tower (Tonelle = arbor) still standing in the vineyard. It has been owned by the Capdemourlin family since the 15th century, who also owned the goods Château Cap-de-Mourlin
and Château Petit-Faurie-de-Soutard
belong. The famous French poet and vagant François Villon (1431-1463) called the wine "ce divin nectar" (this divine nectar), a poem by him is included on the bottle label. The establishment is classified as a "Grand Cru Classé", which was last confirmed in 2012. The vineyards cover eleven hectares of vineyards and are planted with the varieties Merlot (70%), Cabernet Franc (25%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (5%) and Malbec (5%). The extremely long-lasting, decades-old red wine matures in 50% new barriques. The second wine is called "Les Tourelles de Balestard".