The winery is located in the municipality Pauillac
or area in Médoc
(Bordeaux). There are two versions of the name origin. The predominant one refers to a battle (French Bataille) of the English against the French during the Hundred Years War (1337-1453). The second is from a wine merchant named Batailley. The first vines were planted after the last decisive battle in 1453 (on "blood-soaked ground," as it appears on the estate's website today). Towards the end of the 18th century, the estate was owned by the Saint-Martin family, from 1791 by Jean-Guillaume Pécholier (+1816) and then the trading house Barton & Guestier. The then still undivided estate received at the Bordeaux Classification 1855
fifth (Cinquième Cru Classé).
In 1932 it was bought by the brothers Francis (1890-1953) and Marcel Borie (1892-1958). These decided 1939 the division of the possession. The smaller part was called now Château Haut-Batailley
and went to Francis, the greater part of the Château went to Marcel. Today Château Batalley is a family empire Borie-Manoux
(Castéja). The vineyards cover 57 hectares of vineyards with Cabernet Sauvignon (70%), Merlot (25%), Cabernet Franc (3%) and Petit Verdot (2%). The extremely long-lived red wine (the estate calls an average of 40 years) is aged 16 to 18 months in 55% new barrels. There is no second wine. Every year 250,000 to 300,000 bottles are produced. See also the closely intertwined Borie and Castéja family history below Borie-Manoux