The winery is located in Saint-Emilion
in the same area (Bordeaux). The origin of the then Château Belair dates back to the 15th century with an owner Robert de Knolles (Knollys, later Canolles). It remained until the French Revolution in 1789 in the possession of this family, who returned after their escape and in 1802 took control again. In the 19th century, the wines were among the best in the area. From the mid-1870s, there was a through phylloxera
and both mildews
caused severe crisis. In 1916, the estate of Edouard Dubois-Challon (+1921) was replaced by the neighboring Château Ausone
accepted. After his death committed his widow Pascal Delbeck and bequeathed this after her death in 2003 the property. In 2007, he sold 31% of the trading house Moueix
which acquired the remaining 69% one year later. There were extensive investments in the wine cellar and from the year 2008 renamed the present name; Anna-Adèle Monange was the mother of Jean-Pierre Moueix. The main reason was a name delimitation, because there are 10 Bordeaux wineries with the name part "Belair". The company is managed by Edouard Moueix.
The business has been continuously classified as "Premier Grand Cru Classé B" since 1954. Following the confirmation of this classification in 2012, there was an extensive expansion of the vineyards. This included the incorporation of the sister estate Château Magdelaine
, In addition, the cellars were expanded considerably, partly re-planted the vineyards, and reorganized the management of the vineyards and winemaking in the cellar. The vineyards cover 13 hectares of vineyards with the varieties Merlot (85%) and Cabernet Franc (15%). Already since the year 1994 becomes Biodynamic viticulture
operated in a moderate form. The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for an average of 18 months, depending on the vintage in one to two thirds new barrels. The second wine is called "Les Songes de Magdelaine".