The winery is located in the municipality Saint-Julien of the same area in Médoc, Already in the Middle Ages, the wine was shipped directly from the harbor down by the garden. Bishop François de Foix-Candale had the first chateau built in 1565. Other owners were Duke and Grand Admiral Jean-Louis de Nogaret de la Valette and his son Bernard, who expanded the building. It later came into the possession of the Brassier family, who had it rebuilt in 1757. It's counted ever since Chateau to the most beautiful and spectacular in the Bordeaux, After several changes of ownership, it was bought by the insurance company GMF in 1986 and in 1989 by the Japanese company Suntory the company "Grands Millésimes de France" was formed as the new owner. Finally, in 2011 there was an ownership division between Suntory and the Bordeux trading house Castel Frères,
According to old legend, all ships on the Gironde drive upstream to Bordeaux, greet the Château by lowering the sails. The relevant command "baisser-voile" (haul sail) led to the name Beychevele and later to Beychevelle. The label shows a ship with its sails lowered and is reminiscent of the legend. The property covers a total of 250 hectares. In the Bordeaux Classification in 1855 it received fourth place (Quatrième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 90 hectares of vineyards. You are with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (62%), Merlot (31%), Cabernet Franc (5%) and Petit Verdot (2%) planted. The red wine that can be stored for decades matures in 15 to 18 months in 50% new barriques. The second wines are called "Amiral de Beychevelle" and "Les Brulières de Beychevelle" and are marketed under the AOC Haut-Médoc.