The estate is located in the municipality of Cantenac Margaux
in the Médoc
(Bordeaux). It was founded in 1754 by the Irishman Jacques Boyd. It was later divided into two wineries. The English wine merchant and painter James-Lewis Brown married into the family and bought the entire property in 1806. He named the larger part Château Cantenac Brown
, Brown went bankrupt in 1840, and in this connection the property went to a banker under the name "Boyd". In 1860 the first smaller one was bought by the wine merchant Armand Lalande and operated under the name Château Boyd-Cantenac. After several changes of ownership, it has been owned by the Guillemet family since 1932, who also owned the Château Pouget
heard. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 the estate received third place (Troisième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 16 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (67%), Merlot (20%), Cabernet Franc (7%) and Petit Verdot (6%). The extremely long-lasting, decades-storable red wine matures in 75% new barriques for 12 to 24 months. The second wine is called "Jacques Boyd" in homage to the founder.