The winery is located in community appellation Saint-Julien
in the Médoc
(Bordeaux). The beginnings go back to Jean-Baptiste Braneyre, who acquired land here in the early 18th century. In 1818, his two great-grandchildren Louis and Justin Duluc inherited the property. They built the magnificent Châteaux in 1824 and named it after the founder Château Braneyre (later it became Branaire). Finally, in 1875, the estate was acquired by Gustave Ducru, who named it Château Branaire-Ducru. After some ownership changes, it has been owned by Patrick Maroteaux since 1988. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 it was ranked fourth (Quatrième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 50 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (70%), Merlot (22%), Cabernet Franc (5%) and Petit Verdot (3%). The decades-storable red wine is aged for 18 months in 50% new oak barrels. The second wine is called "Château Duluc".