The winery is located in the municipality of Cantenac in the area Margaux
in the Médoc
(Bordeaux). Originally it was part of a large estate called Gorce. In 1833 it was bought by Baron Joseph Hector de Brane. The funds came from the sale three years earlier of his Château Brane-Mouton to the Paris banker Isaac Thuriet, who then in 1853 to the Baron Nathaniel de Rothschild
(1812-1870) sold his new property Château Mouton-Rothschild
called. Baron Brane called his new winery since 1843 Château Brane-Cantenac. In 1925 it was owned by Lucien Lurton
and is run since 1994 by his grandson Henri. In the Bordeaux Classification
In 1855 it received the second rank (Deuxième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 85 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (30%) and Cabernet Franc (5%). The decades-old red wine matures for 12 to 18 months in 50% new oak barrels. The second wine is called "Baron de Brane".