The winery is located in the southwest of the old town of Saint-Emilion
(Bordeaux) in the same area. The property was acquired in 1760 by Jacques Kanon (a buccaneer), who named it after a nearby church "Clos St-Martin". This sold it ten years later to the Négociant
Raymond Fontémoing, who named the property after a property in his possession called Château Canon (not after the first owner). But only from the great-granddaughter from 1853 this name was also used on the label. Finally, the estate was acquired by André Fournier in 1919 (by the way, the family was one of the first customers of the oenologist Michel Rolland
). In 1996, Eric Fournier sold it to the Wertheimer family (owner of Chanel), who also owned the Château Rauzan-Ségla
in the Médoc
belongs. In the course of the purchase were also the vineyards of the Château Curé-Bon
affiliated and highly classified.
The then neglected estate was renovated from scratch, the vineyards largely re-planted, modernized the cellars and also renewed the château. In 2011, the neighboring winery was Château Matras
taken over eight million euros and is thus history. The company was classified in 2012 as "Premier Grand Cru Classé B", which applies only to the old areas. The aim is also to achieve the higher classification for the Matras surfaces classified as "Grand Cru Classé". Since 2014, Nicolas Audebert has been responsible for the operation as successor to John Kolasa.
The vineyards cover 34 hectares, of which 24 hectares are classified (see above). They are planted with Merlot (65%) and Cabernet Franc (35%). Some rows of vines come from the 1930s. Fermentation takes place at temperatures in the range of 28 to 32 ° Celsius in temperature-controlled stainless steel tanks. The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for 18 months in 50% to 70% new barrels. Its peak will unfold only after 10 to 15 years. The bottle label is decorated with two crossed cannon tubes. The second wine is called since the year 2012 "Croix Canon" (previously "Clos Canon").