The estate is located in the municipality of Cantenac Margaux
in the Médoc
(Bordeaux). The origin lies in Château Boyd-Cantenac
, parts of which were purchased in 1806 by the wine merchant John-Lewis Brown (see the story of how it was created). After its bankruptcy, it was bought in 1860 by the wine merchant Armand Lalande, who also owned the Château Léoville-Poyferré
possessed. This replanted the vineyards and modernized the cellars. After several changes of ownership, the estate became the property of the insurance group in 1989 AXA
who finally sold it to the Halabi family in 2005. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 it received third place (Troisième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 42 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (25%) and Cabernet Franc (10%). The extremely long-lived red wine matures in 16 to 18 months in one third new barriques. The second wine is called "Brio du Château Cantenac Brown" (formerly "Château Canuet").