The winery is located north of the municipality Pauillac
or the same area in Médoc
(Bordeaux). The first known owner was Jean-Baptiste Clerc (+1863). The name part "Milon" refers to a nearby hamlet in Pauillac. Shortly before his death, Clerc sold the estate in 1863 to the notary Jacques Mondon, who renamed it Château Clerc-Milon-Mondon. In 1970 it was founded by Baron Philippe de Rothschild
(1902-1988) for one million francs, who changed the name to Château Clerc Milon. Today the estate is often referred to as Château Clerc Milon Rothschild. Due to large investments and changes, there was an upswing again.
In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 the winery was ranked fifth (Cinquième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 30 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (70%), Merlot (20%) and Cabernet Franc (10%). The vinification takes place on the neighboring one Château Mouton-Rothschild
, The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for 22 to 24 months in one-third new barriques.