The winery is located in the municipality Saint-Estèphe
or the area of the same name in the Médoc
(Haut-Médoc) immediately at the municipal border to Pauillac. The vineyards were in 1789 in the context of the French Revolution by expropriation from today opposite Château Cos d'Estournel
detached. The first owner after the division was François Labory in the period 1800 to 1840, which gave the estate its present name. The name part "Cos" is derived from the district name "Caux" (pebbly hill). In 1845 Louis-Gaspard Estournel (1753-1844) bought the estate back, but sold it seven years later to the English banker Charles Martyns. Today it belongs to the Argentine-born family Audoy. In the Bordeaux Classification 1855
it received the fifth rank (Cinquième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 18 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (60%), Merlot (35%), Cabernet Franc (10%) and Petit Verdot (5%). The long-lived red wine is aged up to 15 months in 50% new barrels. The second wine is called "Le Charm Labory".