The estate is located in the municipality of Barsac in the area Sauterne
(Graves, Bordeaux). The name is derived from "Couteau" (knife). Gabriel Barthélémy Romain de Filhot (+1794 through guillotine), then also owner of the Chateau Filhot
, acquired the property in 1788. By marriage, it came into the possession of the famous Lur-Saluces family (owner of the Château d'Yquem
) and remained the property of the same until 1922. After several changes of ownership, the estate was bought by Marcel Baly in 1977, who carried out extensive renovations. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 it was classified as "Premier Cru Classé". The vineyards cover 39 hectares of vineyards planted with Sémillon (75%), Sauvignon Blanc (23%) and Muscadelle (2%). The extremely long-lasting noble sweet wine is aged up to 16 to 18 months in up to 80% new barriques. A very specialty is "Château Coutet Cuvée Madame", which comes from the Tête de cuvée
(Must from the first pressing) is pressed in small quantities up to 1,500 bottles. The second wine is called "La Chatreuse de Coutet". A dry white wine "Vin sec du Château Coutet" is also produced from vineyards in the municipality of Pujols-sur-Civon, which can therefore be marketed as AC Graves.