The winery is located in the municipality Margaux or the same area in Médoc (Bordeaux). The origin goes back to the 14th century, when the property was called Teobon. It is said that at the wedding of the English King Henry II Plantaget (1133-1189) and Eleonore of Aquitaine in 1152, Teobon wines were already served. The imposing Chateau from the 17th century is one of the most beautiful in Bordeaux. In the 19th century, the estate was a supplier to the court of the Austrian emperor Franz-Joseph (1830-1916). The proud motto of the house "Regum mensis arisque Deorum" (for the table of kings and for the altar of God) also dates from this time. In the Bordeaux Classification in 1855 it received third place (Troisième Cru Classé). It should be mentioned that the 1900 vintage has a cult status among Bordeaux connoisseurs Wine of the century enjoy. The estate has an eventful history, the owners were, among others, the families Meyrac, Ségur, Salignac, Ferrière, Lalanne, d'Essenault (by misleading the name Issan), Castelnau, Candale (at that time it was called Château de Candale ), Duluc, Blanchy and Roy.
Gustave Roy sold it to the Grange family in 1914. The aftermath of phylloxera, Vine diseases and the two world wars led to a total decline. During the Second World War, the manor building was occupied by the German Wehrmacht. The dilapidated estate was owned by the famous wine merchant family in 1945 Cruse acquired, at that time only two hectares were in production. It has been managed by Emmanuel Cruse since 1994. The total property is 120 hectares. The vineyards cover 52 hectares, of which 20 hectares neither for the Grand Vin still serve the Second Vin. The 32 hectares for the Grand Vin are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (70%) and Merlot (30%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for 18 months in 50% new barriques. The second wine of 10 hectares is called "Blason d'Issan". The two brand wines "Château de Candale" and "Moulin d'Issan" are produced from the unclassified vineyard.