The estate is located in the municipality of Saint-Laurent im Médoc
(Bordeaux). The origin dates back to the 17th century. In the Bordeaux Classification
In 1855 it was owned by the English -born family Popp. The estate received fifth place (Cinquième Cru Classé). Owned by the Tournade family until 1913, then by the wine merchant Paul Cuvelier, the run-down estate was taken over in 1964 by the Spanish-born brothers Enrique and Elysée Forner. There was a complete renovation and new plantation of the vineyards with advice from the oenologist Émile Peynaud
(1912-2004). Finally, the estate went in 2005 to the Taillan Group. Today Jean share Merlaut
and his cousin Céline Villars-Foubet each 50%. Céline runs the business with her husband Jean-Pierre Foubet. Until 2007, the well-known oenologist Michel Rolland
acting as an advisor. The vineyards cover 75 hectares and are planted with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (60%) and Merlot (40%). The long-lived red wine is aged for 16 to 24 months in 35 to 75% new oak barrels. The second wine is called "La Closerie de Camensac".