The estate is located in the Arsac municipality in the area Margaux
in the Médoc
(Bordeaux). The name is derived from the location, because it is located on the highest piece of land in Margaux (Tertre = hill). The origin goes back to the 12th century. The d'Arsac, Montaigne, Arrérac, de Ségur and Mitchell families took turns. The latter owned a glass factory and was the first bottle producer in Bordeaux. Since 1997 the property has been owned by the Dutchman Eric Albada Jelgersma, who is also close by Château Giscours
heard. He invested large sums in the restructuring of the cellars and vineyards, as well as in the renovation of the château. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 the estate received fifth place (Cinquième Cru Classé). The total property is 80 hectares. The vineyards comprise 52 hectares of vineyards planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (40%), Merlot (35%), Cabernet Franc (20%) and Petit Verdor (5%). The long-lived red wine is aged for 18 months in half new barriques. The second wine is called "Les Hauts du Tertre".