The winery is located in the area Pauillac
in the vicinity of the eponymous community Milon im Médoc
(Bordeaux). Immediate neighbors are the two famous goods Château Lafite-Rothschild
and Château Mouton-Rothschild
, According to a document from 1815, it belonged to a family Mandavy. Between 1830 and 1840 the estate and another 14 hectares of the widow Duhart came into the possession of the family Castéja ( Borie-Manoux
) and was named Duhart-Milon. According to tradition of the Castéja family, the lord Duhart was a former pirate of King Louis XV. (1710-1774), who retired to Pauillac. The "pirate house" in the port of Pauillac stood until the 1950s and inspired the label of Duhart-Milon. In the Bordeaux Classification
In 1855, the estate received the fourth place (Quatrième Cru Classé).
The estate remained in the hands of the family until 1937 and was later dismembered by five separate owners. The devastating 1956 freeze did the rest. In 1964, the derelict estate of "Domaines Barons de Rothschild" was acquired, at that time only 16 hectares. To this company of the French family branch of the Rothschild
that too is part of that Château Lafite-Rothschild
, After the takeover, all vineyards were re-planted. Adjacent plots are bought and others in order Land Consolidation
replaced. At the same time, new wine storage and fermenting cellars were built in Pauillac. The vineyards cover 71 hectares of vines, which are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (30%) and Cabernet Franc (5%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged 18 to 24 months in about half new oak barrels. The second wines are called "Moulin de Duhart" and "Baron de Milon".