The winery is located in the municipality Margaux
in the same area in Médoc
(Bordeaux). The origin goes back to the 15th century, when the owner was the noble family Comtes Durfort de Duras. At that time, this also belonged to vineyards, which were later to become independent wineries Chateau Margaux
and Chateau Lascombes
aufgingen. The later US President Thomas Jefferson
(1743-1826) and at that time the US Ambassador noted during his visit in 1775 that the wines immediately followed Château Haut-Brion
. Château Lafite-Rothschild
and Château Margaux would be classified. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 it received second place (Deuxième Cru Classé). At the beginning of the French Revolution, the family was expropriated in 1789. In 1824 the estate came into the ownership of the Vivens family, who added their name to the Durfort family. After several changes of ownership, it was in the same possession as the Château Margaux from 1937 to 1961, where the vinification took place.
Eventually it was made by Lucien in 1961 Lurton
acquired. Since his death in 1992, it has been run by son Gonzague Lurton. In the mid-1990s, investments were made in new cellar facilities. The vineyards cover 32 hectares and are planted with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (70%), Merlot (20%) and Cabernet Franc (10%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for 18 to 20 months in one-third new barriques. The second wine is called "Segond de Durfort" (formerly "Domaine de Cure-Bourse"). Wines called “Relais de Durfort” and “Vivens Rouge” are also produced.