The winery is located in the extreme northwest of the area Saint-Emilion
on the border to Pomerol
, The origins date back to Roman times, where there was an estate called "Figeacus". The property existed throughout the Middle Ages and often changed hands. He belonged successively to various leading families in the region. In the 17th century he came into ownership of the Carle family, whose member François de Carle of King Louis XIV.
(1638-1715) was appointed for life as mayor of Saint-Émilion. His descendant Élie de Carle expanded the Château Figeac and also had the castle renewed. At that time, the large estate comprised a total of 250 hectares of vineyards, forests and pastures. The wine was delivered to many wealthy customers throughout Europe. After his death, his widow's lavish lifestyle caused major economic problems. Gradually vineyard parts were sold, which were either assigned to wineries, or were the basis for new wineries. That was for example Château Beauregard
and Château La Conseillante
in Pomerol, as well Château Cheval Blanc
(1852), Château La Marzelle
. Château La Tour Figeac
(1879), two of the same name Château La Tour-du-Pin-Figeac
(1882) u. Château Yon-Figeac
The rest of the estate then changed hands several times in the 19th century. By mildew
the estate lost its leading rank. In 1896 it was acquired by André Villepigue. His great grandson Thierry Manoncourt took over the responsibility in 1947 and led it back to the top; unofficially, it will be the next winery of the highest "Classé A" traded. Today it is headed by his son-in-law Eric d'Aramon. The property includes a 13-hectare park. It has been classified as "Premier Grand Cru Classé B" since the beginning of the 1955 classification. Since 2013, the well-known oenologist Michel has been a consultant Rolland
The vineyards cover 40 hectares of vineyards up to seven meters thick pebble deposits. This unusual for the field soil type
On the basis of analyzes carried out in the 1950s, this also resulted in a different stocking with unusually high proportions of 35% Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc, as well as only 30% Merlot. Therefore, the fruity, brightly colored wine resembles that from the Médoc
and is also referred to as "Médoc wine of Saint-Émilion". It is aged up to 20 months in 100% new oak barrels. On a filtration
is completely omitted. The second wine is called "La Grange Neuve de Figeac". Every year around 160,000 bottles of wine are produced.