The winery is located in the municipality Sauterne
in the eponymous area in Graves
(Bordeaux). The origin dates back to 1709, when the estate was bought by Romain de Filhot (1641-1710). His descendant Gabriel Barthélémy Romain de Filhot was Speaker of Parliament of Bordeaux and extended the possession 1788 by purchase of the Château Coutet
, This year, the later US President Thomas Jefferson
(1743-1826) the Château Filhot as the best Sauternes estate after the Château d'Yquem
, The owner lost his head during the French Revolution in 1794. His daughter Joséphine Geneviève Filhot married in 1807 the Marquis de Lur-Saluces, Antoine Marie Henry Amédée (owner family of the Château d'Yquem). In the aegis of the son Romain-Bertrand de Lur-Saluces (1810-1876), the magnificent château was built. Some years the estate was called "Château Sauternes", but got back its old name from 1901 onwards. In the Bordeaux Classification
In 1855, the estate was classified as "Deuxième Cru Classé".
The estate then remained property of the Lur-Saluces family until 1935. This year it was acquired by the Comtesse de Durieu Lacarelle (sister of the Marquis de Lur-Saluces) and later modernized by her son Louis de Durieu Lacarelle in the 1970s. Finally, it was bought in 1976 by the Comte Henri de Vaucelles, who gave up the red wine production. Today he is supported in the leadership of son Gabriel de Vaucelles. The total property is 350 hectares of land, of which "only" 62 hectares are planted with vines. These are the white varieties Sémillon (60%), Sauvignon Blanc (36%) and Muscadelle (4%) The wine was for a long time almost exclusively in fiberglass tanks and only occasionally expanded with minimal use of wood. Then there was a change in philosophy, for some years, the noble sweet wine in steel tanks is slowly fermented and aged 24 to 36 months in one-third new oak barrels. A dry wine is produced under the name "Chateau du Pineau Rey Sec".