The estate is located in the commune of Saint-Christophe-des-Bardes Saint-Emilion
(Bordeaux). It was founded in 1679, making it one of the oldest and the largest in the area after the vineyards. It is named after an early owner named Dumas de Fombrauge. In 1999 the property was bought by Bernard Magrez and with advice from Michel Rolland
the vine stock changed (Merlot stock increased, Cabernet Sauvignon was eliminated). The company was first classified as a "Grand Cru Classé" in 2012. The vineyards cover 60 hectares with Merlot (90%), Cabernet Franc (8%) and Cot (2%). The long-lived red wine is aged for 16 to 18 months in 50% new barriques. The second wine is called "Le Cadran de Fombrauge". A white wine made from Sémillon (40%), Sauvignon Blanc (30%) and Sauvignon Gris (30%) is also produced under the name "Château Magrez Fombrauge".