The winery is located in the municipality of Labarde in the area Margaux in the Médoc (Bordeaux). The origin of the estate goes back to the year 1330, a vineyard or viticulture was first mentioned in 1552. Supposedly King already appreciated Louis XIV. (1638-1715) this wine. In 1789, during the French Revolution, the then owner-family Saint-Simon was expropriated. After several changes of ownership, the banker Comte of Pescatore acquired the estate in 1847, had the magnificent château built and received there Eugénie, the wife of Emperor Napoleon III. (1808-1873). After the Second World War, it was acquired by Nicolas Tari, who created an eight-acre artificial lake to influence the microclimate. In 1970 son Pierre Tari took over (in 1976 he participated in the legendary Paris Wine Tasting ) the good that sold the beginning of the 1990s to the Dutch Eric Albada-Jelgersma, which also the Château du Tertre belongs.
In 1998, there was a great scandal when illegal practices such as illicit confectionery and the use of oak chips were detected, especially in the 1995 and 1996 second wine. Jelgersma, who was obviously in ignorance of the processes, then exchanged a large part of the crew, including the oenologist. Today, the Dutchman Alexander van Beek is mainly responsible for Château Giscours and the Château du Tertre. In the Bordeaux Classification In 1855, the estate received the third place (Troisième Cru Classé). The total property covers 400 hectares of land. Of these, only 81 hectares are planted with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (53%) and Merlot (42%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged 15 to 18 months in two-thirds new oak barrels. The second wine is called "La Sirène de Giscours".