The winery is located in the municipality Pauillac
in the eponymous community appellation in Médoc
(Bordeaux). The beginnings date back to the 17th century, when a large estate belonged to Artigues Arnaud. His grandson Pierre Ducasse, at that time one of the largest landowners in Pauillac, acquired a part in the 18th century and expanded the estate. The property was named "Ducasse-Grand-Puy-Artigues-Arnaud". The name part Grand-Puy (Big Mountain) refers to a district in Pauillac. It then came into the possession of the company Mestrezat, later Cordier Mestrezat
and was sold to Banque Crédit-Agricole in 2004. In the Bordeaux Classification
1855 received the estate still under its old name the fifth rank (Cinquième Cru Classé).
The property covers 50 hectares of land and is divided into three parts. The northern part is adjacent Château Mouton-Rothschild
and Château Lafite-Rothschild
, part of it lies in the district of Grand-Puy and the southern part extends to the plateau of Saint-Lambert. The Château and the cellars are located on the banks of the Garonne
in Pauillac. The vineyards cover 38 hectares of vineyards and are with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (60%) and Merlot (40%). The long-lived red wine is matured for 18 to 24 months in up to 40% new oak barrels. The second wines are called "Prélude à Grand-Puy Ducasse" and (in homage to the historical landowner) "Château Artigues-Arnaud".