The estate is located in the commune of Léognan Pessac-Léognan
(Bordeaux), but not with the name-like one Chateau Haut-Batailley
(Pauillac) can be confused. It is classified as "Cru Classé". The traditional property was acquired around 1630 by the eponymous Parisian banker Firmin Le Bailly. After many changes of ownership, there was a decline. In 1955 the Belgian wine merchant Daniel Sanders (+1980) bought the estate and successfully revitalized it. His son Jean Sanders sold it to American banker Robert G. Wilmers in 1998. It is run by Jean Sanders' granddaughter Veronique Sanders. The vineyards cover 30 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (25%) and Cabernet Franc (10%). The long-lived red wine is aged for 16 months in 50% new barriques. The second wine is called "Le Parde de Haut-Bailly". Unlike most Graves wineries, no white wine is produced.