The winery is located in the municipality of Cantenac in the area Margaux
in the Médoc
(Bordeaux). The origin dates back to a noble Lasalle in the 17th century. At the beginning of the 18th century it was bought by the British wine merchant John Collingwood, whose daughter married the Irishman Mark Kirwan, who gave the estate its present name in 1775. During a visit to Bordeaux, the future US President Thomas visited Jefferson
(1743-1826) Château Kirwan and classified it in the "second category". In the Bordeaux Classification
In 1855, the estate received the third place (Troisième Cru Classé).
After several changes of ownership, it was bought in 1925 by the company Schröder and Schÿler, the family Schÿler still owns shares today. From the year 1979 Didier Cuvelier took over the management. In the 1990s, the well-known oenologist Michel Rolland
(* 1947) provided support. In this context, extensive investments were made in the cellar technology. The vineyards cover 35 hectares of vines with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (40%), Merlot (30%), Cabernet Franc (20%) and Petit Verdot (10%). The extremely long-lived red wine ripens for 18 to 24 months in one-third new barriques. The second wine is called "Les Charmes de Kirwan".