The winery is located in the municipality Pomerol
in the same area (Bordeaux). The name derives from the location next to the old church of Saint Jean de Pomerol (eglise = church), built in the 12th century by the Templars. The very old estate in its present form was founded in 1882 by Monsieur Mauleon-Rouchut by merging the parcels Clos de l'Eglise and Domaine de Clinet, from which derives today's name. Since the year 1983 it is led by the descendant Denis Durantou. The vineyards cover six hectares of vineyards with the varieties Merlot (85%) and Cabernet Franc (15%). The long-lived red wine is aged up to 18 months in 50% new oak barrels. The vintage 1899 is considered Wine of the century
, at that time the winery or the wine was called Clos L'Eglise-Clinet. The degustator Michael Broadbent
(* 1927) titled him as near perfect. During a degustation in 1999, the centenary wine was judged with the superlatives "finest raspberry aromas, wonderfully fine sweetness, incomprehensible freshness, long finish". The second wine is called "La Petite Eglise".