The winery is located in the south of the municipality Pomerol
in the area of the same name (Bordeaux) exactly between the two famous neighbors Château Cheval Blanc
(Saint-Émilion) and Château Petrus
(Pomerol). The estate was founded in 1741 by the Léglise family under the name "Fazilleau". At the beginning of the 19th century, it was sold to the lawyer Isambert, who named it after the gospel. Then it went to Paul Chaperon in 1862, after his death to the Ducasse family, until it was finally sold to the "Domaines Barons de Rothschild" in 1990. To this company of the French Rothschild branch
that also belongs Château Lafite-Rothschild
, The last owner Madame Ducasse and her advisor Michel Rolland
were still active until 1999.
From 1998 the entire vineyards were restored and partially renewed, and until 2004 the renovation of the fermentation cellar and the wine cellar were completed. In 2012, 6 hectares of land were bought by Château La Croix de Gay and incorporated. This expanded the vineyard area from 16 to 22 hectares. The gravelly soil mixed with sand and clay is also quite similar to that of Pétrus. It is planted with Merlot (80%) and Cabernet Franc (20%) varieties, which are on average 30 years old (2014). The long-lived red wine matures in 70% new barriques for 18 months. 2,000 to 3,000 boxes are produced annually. The second wine is called "Blason de L'Évangile".