The winery is located on the road to Libourne in the area Saint-Emilion
(Bordeaux). The estate has been owned by the noble Malet-Roquefort family for some 400 years and is today run by Comte Léo de Malet-Roquefort. The name derives from a medieval leprosy hospital for leprosy patients, the old name for this disease was "Gaffets". In 1969, excavations on the property remnants of a Roman building with vines representing mosaics were found. It is believed that this could be the place where the Roman poet Ausonius
(310-395) and had owned a vineyard. Its home is usually the place of the Château Ausone
attributed. In the 1860s, the large property was shared. The one part made that Château Canon-La-Gaffelière
the other part is the Chateau La Gaffelière-Naudes, whose name was shortened in 1964 to the present name Château La Gaffelière. It has been classified as "Premier Grand Cru Classé B" since 1955. Incidentally, the well-known oenologist Michel was a consultant Rolland
(Born 1947). The vineyards cover 22 hectares of vines and are stocked with the varieties Merlot (65%), Cabernet Franc (30%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (5%). The long-lived red wine is matured for 18 to 20 months in 50% new oak barrels. The second wine is called "Clos la Gaffelière".