The estate is located in the municipality of Léognan in the area Pessac-Léognan
(Bordeaux). The origin dates back to the 14th century on a property called Lobeyra or Loubière (Louvièr), which should refer to wolves, which existed here at that time in large numbers. In 1791 it was bought by the wine merchant Jean-Baptiste Mareilhac, then mayor of Bordeaux, who had the château, listed since 1991, built. Finally, the estate was built in 1965 by André Lurton
(* 1924) bought and completely redesigned. It is called the showpiece of the Lurton Empire. The vineyards cover 61.5 hectares of vineyards, of which 48 hectares with the red varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (64%), Merlot (30%), Cabernet Franc (3%) and Petit Verdot (3%), and 13.5 hectares with the white wine varieties Sauvignon Blanc (85%) and Semillon (15%). Both wines are certified Cru-Classé format, but they are not classified. The long-lived red wine is aged in 75% new oak barrels. Both second wines (for red and white) are called "L de la Louvière".