SIGN UP LOG IN

The largest wine encyclopedia in the world

22.769 Keywords • 48.564 Synonyms • 5.298 Translations • 7.910 Pronunciations • 150.743 Cross-references

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Château La Mission Haut-Brion

The winery is located in the municipality of Talence in the area Pessac-Léognan in Graves (Bordeaux). The origin dates back to 1540, when the nobleman Louis de Roustain sold the wine cellar Arrejedhuys to the wine merchant Arnaud de Lestonnac. Lestonnac was the husband of Marie, the sister of Jean de Pontac (1488-1589), the owner of the neighboring Château Haut-Brion, For a while, the Lestonnac family owned the two Haut-Brion wineries and later the Château Margaux, The Château La Mission Haut-Brion remained family-owned until 1664. This year, Catherine de Mullet entrusted it to the Catholic Lazarist Order "Mission Saint-Vincent-de-Paul". In this time of spiritual possession, it then received the present name. The President Père Simon helped the estate in the episode to a great upswing.

As Governor of Guyenne, Marshal learned Richelieu (1696-1788) know and love the wines of La Mission. One day he will try a particularly remarkable one. His servant told him that it was a Haut-Brion mission. As a result, the marshal exclaimed, "If God did not want us to drink, why would he have made this wine so good?" In the wake of the French Revolution, property was expropriated at the end of the 18th century and sold in 1792 at an auction of martial arts. Victor Vaillant acquired. His descendants sold it in 1821 to the native of the United States Célestin Chiapella (1774-1867). Son Jérôme had the vineyard rested and built a magnificent, wrought-iron portal. The export to the USA was intensified. At the World's Fair in London in 1862, the wine received a gold medal.

Jérôme Chiapella transferred the estate in 1884 to the "Société Anonyme des Etablissements Duval" of Paris, which was then acquired in 1895 by the wine merchant Ferdinand de Constans and in 1903 went into the possession of the wine merchant Victor Coustau, which was also the neighboring Château La Tour-Haut-Brion belonged. This then sold the Château La Mission Haut-Brion 1919 to his friend Frédéric Otto Woltner (* 1865). His sons Fernand and Henri contributed significantly to improvements. They used for the first time in Bordeaux enamelled cement tanks for better temperature control and improved the quality of white wine. After the death of Victor Coustau, the brothers Woltner took over the winemaking for friendship. To thank them Marie Coustau left them in 1935 the estate. Henri Woltner led it until his death in 1974.

The heir Francis Dewavrin, husband of one of the Woltner daughters, then sold both wineries in 1983 to the American family Dillon, under Domaine Clarence Dillon managed a number of other major wineries. The vineyards of the CLMHB cover 21 hectares of vineyards, which are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (48%), Merlot (45%) and Cabernet Franc (7%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged up to 24 months in 100% new oak barrels. The powerful, deep-dark wine is strikingly different from the "feminine" Château Haut-Brion and, in contrast, is considered "masculine". outstanding vintages are 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 and completely 1993 to 2000. In the Graves List the red wine is classified as "Cru Classé". The second wine produced since 1991 is called "La Chapelle de la Mission Haut-Brion".

World's largest wine knowledge database, made with by our author Norbert Tischelmayer.

About the Glossary

Calendar EVENTS NEAR YOU

Privacy Notice: ×

Cookies facilitate the provision of our services. By using our services, you agree that we use cookies.