The winery is located in the municipality Saint-Estèphe in the same area in Médoc (Bordeaux). In the Bordeaux Classification in 1855 the company was classified as fourth (Quatrième Cru Classé). The origin goes back to the middle of the 16th century. In the mid-17th century, the property came into the possession of Etienne de Lafon. In contrast to many other goods, the estate history was hardly influenced by the French Revolution, as Jean Lafon supported the revolution as a member of the local Revolutionary Council. Jean changed his name to Jean de Lafon Rochet, from which the estate name is derived. After that, there were innumerable changes of ownership and ultimately a total decline.
When it was taken over by Guy Tesseron in 1960, there was almost no wine production left. Through his marriage to Nicole Cruse this came into business relationship with the well-known wine trade house. He had vineyards and cellars renovated and a new 18th-century château built. In 1975 he did that too Chateau Pontet-Canet acquired. This was then bequeathed to the brothers Gerard and Alfred Tesseron in 1999, while the twin brother of Gerard, Michel Tesseron and his sister Caroline were awarded the Château Lafon-Rochet. The vineyards cover 45 hectares of vineyards and are with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (40%) and Cabernet Franc (5%) planted. The long-lived red wine is aged for 14 to 18 months in 50% new barriques. The name of the second wine "Les Pèlerins de Lafon-Rochet" recalls the time when Château Lafon-Rochet was a station of the pilgrims (Pèlerins) on the Way of St. James to Santiago de Compostela in Galicia (Spain). Another second wine is called "Le Numéro 2 de Lafon-Rochet".