The winery is located west of the community Saint-Julien
in the eponymous area in the Médoc
(Bordeaux). It may not with the eponymous Château Lagrange
be confused in Pomerol. It is believed that the first vineyards at the beginning of the 18th century, Baron Joseph de Brane had create, at that time, the Château Mouton-Rothschild
(then Château Mouton) belonged. In 1787, Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), then Ambassador of the United States to France, certified the estate a third-class rank. Shortly thereafter, it was acquired in 1796 by dealer Jean-Valère Cabarrus (1758-1829) and expanded by land purchases on 300 acres. After a varied history with numerous changes of ownership, it was in 1983 to the Japanese distillery and wine trade multi Suntory
sold. Only 157 hectares were available, of which only 56 were planted.
On the advice of Professor Émile Peynaud
(1912-2004) was transferred the management of the estate Marcel Ducasse. This put primarily the vineyards again and then had to modernize and rebuild cellars and outbuildings. Peynaud later described it as "dream property" and that there were no comparable basements in Bordeaux. For ten years, Michel Delon was also from Château Léoville-Las-Cases
helpful to the side. In the Bordeaux Classification
In 1855, the estate received the third place (Troisième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 113 hectares and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (28%) and Petit Verdot (7%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for 18 months in 60% new oak barrels. The second wine is called "Les Fiefs-de-Lagrange". Since 1997, the white wine "Les Arums de Lagrange" of the varieties Sauvignon Blanc, Sémillon and Muscadelle is produced by four hectares of vineyards.