The winery is located in Sauterne
in the same area (Bordeaux). The origin lies in a winery called Château Lamothe d'Assault. The property, renamed Château Lamothe in 1814, became property of the Baptiste family. It was at the Bordeaux Classification
classified in 1855 as "Deuxième Cru Classé" (Sauternes). Due to family conflicts it disintegrated into several parts, the two wineries described in the following kept but also after the division this rank. One part was bought by Charles-Joseph Bergey. He acquired Armandt Bastit-Saint-Martin in 1958 and named it Château Lamothe. Part of it he sold in 1961 to the family Despujols, which added her name. The remaining part was now called Château Lamothe-Bergey, which was then sold in 1981 to the Guignard family and now the name Château Lamothe Guignard
got. The current owner of Château Lamothe Despujols is Guy Despujols. The vineyard area totals seven hectares, planted with Semillon (85%), Sauvignon Blanc (10%) and Muscadelle (5%). The second wine is called "Les Tourelles de Lamothe".