The estate is located in Sauterne
in the area of the same name (Bordeaux). The origin is in a winery called Château Lamothe d'Assault. The estate, which was renamed Château Lamothe in 1814, became the property of the Baptiste family. It was at the Bordeaux Classification
classified in 1855 as "Deuxième Cru Classé" (Sauternes). Due to family conflicts, it fell into several parts, but the two wineries described below retained this rank even after the division. Charles-Joseph Bergey bought part of it. Armandt bought this in 1958 from Bastit-Saint-Martin and called it Château Lamothe. He sold part of it to the Despujols family in 1961, and that was when the Château Lamothe Despujols
, The remaining part was now called Château Lamothe-Bergey, which went to the Guignard family in 1981 and got the current name. As a result, the vineyards were replanted and renovations were carried out. Today the estate is owned by Philippe and Jacques Guignard. The vineyards cover 17 hectares with the varieties Sémillon (90%), Sauvignon Blanc (5%) and Muscadelle (5%). The long-lasting noble sweet wine is aged for 15 months in 25% new barriques.