The winery is located in the municipality Saint-Julien in the same area in Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). It was created from a three-part division of the former Château Léoville. One of them was bought by Irish-born Hugh in 1826 Barton (1766-1854). The current structure was given to the Ronald Barton (1902-1986) winery, which in the 1980s had given management to his nephew Anthony Barton. The other two parts are called today Château Léoville-Las-Cases and Château Léoville-Poyferré, The family also owned the neighborhood that was acquired in 1821 Château Langoa-Barton where the wines of both châteaux are produced. In the Bordeaux Classification in 1855, Château Léoville-Barton received second place (Deuxième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 47 hectares of vineyards with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (72%), Merlot (20%) and Cabernet Franc (8%) are planted. The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for 20 months in 50% new barriques. The second wine is called "La Réserve de Léoville-Barton".