The winery is located in the municipality Saint-Julien in the eponymous area in the Médoc (Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). On the label the name "Grand Vin de Léoville du Marquis de Las Cases" appears, a château is not mentioned. The last part of the name is derived from Marquis de Las Cases Beauvoir, the owner of a Château Léoville. Until the year 1840 this remained in the possession of this family, then there was a tripartite division. In addition to the objective good are there Château Léoville-Barton and Château Léoville-Poyferré emerged. As a result, it came into the possession of the Delon family (descendants of the family Léoville), who also the Château Potensac belongs. The progenitor was Théophile Skawinski, who led the estate until 1930. From 1976 to 1996 Michel Delon gave the estate its present-day character and handed over the management to his son Jean-Hubert. In the Bordeaux Classification in 1855 the estate received the second rank (Deuxième Cru Classé).
The vineyards cover 97 hectares of vineyards, with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (19%), Cabernet Franc (13%) and Petit Verdot (3%) are planted. The ground is similar to the famous bordering to the north Château Latour in Pauillac. The largest of the Rebparzellen is completely enclosed by a wall (Clos). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged 20 months depending on the vintage in 50 to 100% new barrels. The wine is counted among the so-called "Super-Seconds", which would actually earn the "Premier Cru Classé" because of its excellent quality. It is believed that after the Château Mouton-Rothschild the good could be the second that may be highly classified. The vintage 1970 was legendary Paris Wine Tasting in 1976. The second wine is called "Clos du Marquis" and is one of the best in his genre. There is also a third wine called "Domaine de Bigarnon".