The winery is located in the municipality Saint-Julien
in the same area in Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). It was created in 1840 from a tripartite division of the Château Léoville, which are two others Château Léoville-Las-Cases
and Château Léoville-Barton
, Through marriage to Jeanne de Las-Cases, the part with the chateau came into the possession of the Baron Poyferré and was given the current name. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 the estate received second place (Deuxième Cru Classé). After several changes of ownership, it was bought by the Cuvelier family in 1920. Didier Cuvelier took over the management in 1979. From the mid-1990s, the oenologist Michel Rolland
Support provided. The vineyards cover 80 hectares of vineyards and are planted with Cabernet Sauvignon (65%), Merlot (25%), Petit Verdot (8%) and Cabernet Franc (2%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged for 18 to 20 months in 75% new barriques. The second wine up to the 2001 vintage was called "Pavillon des Connetables", from 2002 "Château Moulin-Riche".