The estate is located in the municipality of Léognan in the area Pessac-Léognan
(Bordeaux). It was founded in the 18th century by the Lageder family Lagravière. In 1803 Pierre Malartic bought it and added its name. A famous family member was the French Admiral Comte Anne -Joseph-Hippolyte Maurès de Malartic (1730-1800), reminiscent of the three-master on the bottle label. After several changes of ownership, the estate came into the possession of the champagne company Laurent-Perrier
which sold it in 1997 to the Belgian Alfred-Alexandre Bonnie. Both white wine and red wine are classified as "Cru Classé" (Graves). The vineyards cover a total of 47 hectares, of which 41 hectares with the red varieties Merlot (45%), Cabernet Sauvignon (45%) and Cabernet Franc (10%), and six hectares with the white varieties Sauvignon Blanc (80%) and Sémillon ( 20%). The extremely long-lived red wine is aged up to 22 months in one-third new barrels. The long-lived white wine matures for up to eight months in 100% new oak barrels. The second wines (in white and red) are called "Sillage de Malartic". A rosé is called "Le Rosé de Malartic".