The winery is located in the municipality Margaux
in the same area in Médoc
(Haut-Médoc, Bordeaux). Its immediate neighbor is the famous one Chateau Margaux
, In 1661 a large estate was bought from the de Gassies family by Pierre des Mesures de Rausan (Rauzan). This resulted in the wineries Château Desmirail
. Château Rauzan-Gassies
. Château Rauzan-Ségla
and the present Château Marquis-de-Terme. In 1762, through marriage as a dowry from Elizabeth de Ledoulx d'Emplet, it became the property of the Marquis de Terme François de Peguilhan. During his visit to Bordeaux in May 1787, the then US ambassador to France granted Thomas Jefferson
(1743-1826) a visit to the estate.
After an eventful history with many owners, the estate finally came into the possession of the wine merchant Pierre Sénéclauze from Marseille in 1935. Today his three sons Jean, Philippe and Pierre-Louis Sénéclauze run the business. In the Bordeaux Classification
in 1855 the estate received fourth place (Quatrième Cru Classé). The vineyards cover 38 hectares of vineyards in the municipalities of Margaux and Cantenac and are planted with the varieties Cabernet Sauvignon (55%), Merlot (35%), Petit Verdot (7%) and Cabernet Franc (3%). The long-lived red wine is aged for 18 months in one-third new barriques. The second wine is called "Les Gondats de Marquis de Terme".